A federal commission finds Canada’s sports system plagued by abuse and neglect, urging 71 reforms to protect athletes and rebuild trust.
Alarming Findings Unveiled
Canada’s sports system is “broken” and fosters a culture of abuse and silence, according to a preliminary report released Thursday by the Future of Sport in Canada Commission. The commission, led by Justice Lise Maisonneuve, documented widespread maltreatment across all levels of sport, from youth programs to elite competition.
Why Athletes Are at Risk
The review uncovered recurring patterns of physical punishment, sexual assault, training through injuries, humiliation, intimidation, and systemic neglect. The commission said Canada’s current model, which prioritizes medals and elite results, has left athletes vulnerable while undermining values of safety, inclusivity, and well-being.
How the Report Was Conducted
The commission began its work last year after mounting allegations of abuse across multiple sports. Its findings are based on survivor testimony, consultations with athletes, and a review of sport organizations. The panel concluded that maltreatment is widespread and that a “culture of silence” protects perpetrators instead of safeguarding athletes.
Key Recommendations for Reform
The commission issued 71 recommendations. Chief among them: establishing a national safe sport authority, creating a public registry of sanctioned coaches and administrators, mandating background checks, and increasing funding for national sport organizations (NSOs) and parasport programs. The report stressed that existing funding levels have stagnated for decades while expectations have grown.
Reactions from Survivors and Advocates
Amelia Cline, managing director of Athletes Empowered and a former gymnast who experienced abuse as a child, welcomed the proposals. She said a national registry would help families make informed choices and prevent sanctioned coaches from relocating to avoid scrutiny. Investigative journalist Laura Robinson also applauded the call for an independent oversight body, noting that sport’s “family-like” structure often shields misconduct.
Federal Response and Next Steps
Secretary of State for Sport Adam van Koeverden said the government welcomes the report and praised survivors for their courage in sharing experiences. “Abuse and maltreatment have no place in sport,” he said in a statement, pledging to work toward a safe and inclusive system. The commission’s work will culminate in the National Summit on the Future of Sport, set to take place in Ottawa in less than two weeks, where the path forward will be debated.
© 2025 Mapple News Wire