HomeCanadian CitiesNova Scotia Wildfire Destroys 20 Annapolis Homes

Nova Scotia Wildfire Destroys 20 Annapolis Homes

Date:

Related stories

  Ottawa Vows to Improve Vaccine Injury Support Program

Health Minister Marjorie Michel pledges to improve Canada’s...

  Report Reveals Ongoing Canadian Arms Shipments to Israel

Despite government denials, new data shows military goods from...

  Surrey Mayor Urges Ottawa to List Extortion Gangs as Terrorists

Mayor of Surrey calls on federal government to label...

 ‘Elbows Up’ Canada Day Merch Loses Steam, Vendors Report

Retailers see slowing sales of once-popular ‘elbows up’ merchandise,...

 Abortion Travel Persists Amid Shifting State Policies

Tens of thousands crossed state lines for abortion care...
spot_imgspot_img

Nova Scotia confirms 20 homes destroyed in Annapolis County wildfire as crews battle the 8,234-hectare blaze and support residents.

20 Homes Lost in Annapolis County Wildfire

Fire Impact Confirmed by Province

The Nova Scotia government has confirmed that 20 homes were destroyed in the Annapolis County wildfire last weekend. The fire, which started on August 13, remains out of control and has grown to 8,234 hectares—covering more than 82 square kilometres. The destruction was concentrated on West Dalhousie and Thorne roads, where officials reported that not all of the affected residences were primary homes.

Premier Expresses Sympathy

Premier Tim Houston issued a statement expressing condolences to those who lost their homes, calling the situation “heartbreaking.” He emphasized that while the losses are devastating, it is significant that no lives have been lost and that many homes were successfully protected. “It will be a long road to recovery, but this strong, tight-knit community will find comfort in coming together,” Houston said.

Firefighting Efforts on the Ground

Emergency crews have been working tirelessly to limit damage. Firefighters used sprinklers to protect structures, cleared propane tanks and patio furniture from properties, and stayed on-site to monitor risks. Andrew Mitton, director of regional operations for the Department of Emergency Management, said crews “haven’t left since the beginning” and will continue ensuring homes are safeguarded.

Community Support for Evacuees

Local officials are moving quickly to assist displaced families. The Municipality of the County of Annapolis is setting up a navigator program to help evacuees and property owners access insurance and recovery resources. Dustin Enslow, the deputy warden, confirmed that a local navigator will begin working with families on Saturday at the Bridgetown Fire Hall. No appointments will be required.

Evacuations and Relief Efforts

So far, 505 civic addresses have been evacuated, though not all are residential. According to Kim Masland, Nova Scotia’s minister of emergency management, 267 households and 518 individuals have registered with the Canadian Red Cross. She noted that many more evacuees may not yet be accounted for. Sprinkler systems protected 88 homes in the evacuation zone, with only three ultimately lost to the fire.

Next Steps in Recovery

Damage assessments for additional homes, trailers, and outbuildings will continue once it is safe to re-enter the area. At present, the wildfire zone remains an active fire scene, preventing property owners, insurers, and contractors from accessing affected sites. Officials have pledged to continue working with residents through both immediate support and long-term recovery.

For continuous coverage and real-time updates, keep following Maple News Wire.

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here